SQL Server Performance

What backup and restore times do you get for 500GB or 1GB+ databases?

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by DBADave, Feb 9, 2009.

1. DBADave New Member

I'm curious what other people are experiencing regarding how long it takes to backup databases of 500GB or more?
    Are you using SQL Server backup technology or a 3rd party tool like Red Gate, LightSpeed or Microsoft DPM?
    Are you backing up to SAN or local attached storage such as SAS drives?
    Do you have multiple backup arrays or one large array?
    Is your data stored on a SAN or local?
    Do you restore a test server on a regular basis and if so how long does the restore take to the test server?
    Thanks, Dave
  2. martins New Member

Hi Dave,
    At my previous company we had a datawarehouse of about 1.4TB...the biggest db was about 1.2TB
    We used Red-Gate's SQL Backup with great success, performing full backups in about 3hrs (all databases) with average compression rate of more than 80%. As far as infrastructure is concerned, we had one large SAN for data and backups (not ideal but we didn't have anything else available) and running RAID5 (also not ideal, but company policy prevailed seeing that we had both data and backups on the same SAN).
    Unfortunately I cannot remember how long our last restore to the test server took, but if I'm not mistaken it was about 6hrs for the 1.2TB database.
    The last native backup I performed there was on a 800GB database and it took about 13hrs...needless to say I never wanted to do that again.
  3. satya Moderator