SQL Server Performance

What happened to sql_handle in sysprocesses?

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by DBADave, Sep 13, 2007.

1. DBADave New Member

In SQL Server 2000 you can monitor active processes by looking at the sql_handle column in sysprocesses. In SQL Server 2005 BOL says sql_handle ...Represents the currently executing batch or object.In SQL 2000 a non-zero value in sql_handle indicated an active process. You could not simply rely on the status column to check for an actively running process. This is not the case in 2005. I ran a profiler trace to confirm that just because sql_handle reports a non-zero value does not mean the corresponding process is active. Does anyone know why this has changed and how we are now to interpret sql_handle in 2005?
    Thanks, Dave
  2. satya Moderator

3. DBADave New Member

Unless I am misunderstanding the first link, it says ...you frequenty want to see the SQL statements and associated query plans that are active on the system...
    ...Both of these views provide a plan_handle for the XML plan and a sql_handle for the query text...
    This sounds to me like sql_handle should only be reporting active processes. Am I misunderstanding these links?
    Dave