SQL Server Performance

What Is an Architect?

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Jan 16, 2009.

1. shanetasker New Member

In any industry there are job titles that really do not seem to fit the role. For example, there is a Garboligist who is a person that empties waste and a Director of First Impressions who is a receptionist. There seems to be a trend where companies are compensating employees with bigger job titles. Over the last 10 years the term architect has started to appear in more and more job titles. I think Bill Gates popularised the term when he changed his job title to Chief Technical Architect.
    So what really is an architect? If you were to ask most people what an architect is, they would respond with, "An architect is someone that is licensed to lead a design team in the planning and design of buildings". However, the word architect derives from a Greek word that means in its broadest sense a person who translates a user's requirements into a built environment. So although architect appears as a jacked-up job title it describes the key role of providing a formal description of a system. So what strange job titles exist in your company?
    - Peter Ward
  2. TommCatt New Member

I used to be a data modeler and now I'm a data architect. The former sounds kind of artsy and the latter more technical. So, I guess I would go with the Greeks on this one. A building architect takes the dream and creates the logical design (blueprints) so it can be built by the building contractors. A database architect takes the requirements and creates the logical design (ER, UML or other diagram) so it can become reality. The database programmer/developer writes the code that breathes life into the design and the DBAs.... Well, who knows what the hell DBAs do? ;)
  3. mst New Member

(Slight sidetrack) I worked in a cafeteria once, and one week the boss put up the time sheet for the "Hydro-ceramic Engineers". You know them as dish washers. What a comedian.