SQL Server Performance

What is better.. Static or dynamic memory allocation ?

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by carloarango, Dec 26, 2007.

1. carloarango New Member

I have gotten mixed comments on this topic. I have a 64 bit machine running 64 windows 2003 standard and 64 SQL 2005 standard with 8 GB of RAM. We want to upgrade it to 32 GB. What is the best approach to do this? Dynamic or Stattic giving min and max server memory a value ? and if static what value should I use for 32 GB knowing that this box is only being used for SQL.
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

As far I know, dynamic.
  3. ghemant Moderator

My opinion is Dynamic memory, unless u have some specific memory requirement for another application.

4. jn4u Member

My opinion is Dynamic memory,unless u has some specific memory requirement for another application. For IE64 we have use fixed else the serverhangs. And some 64 bits we also have usefixed size, the hangs. We don’t have that problem with 32.
  5. satya Moderator

Have you observed any memory contention during the busy operations on SQL Server?
    Unless there is a thorough testing or proof from the resource usage on the server I wouldn't recommend such a setting on the production server.
    If there are fwe queries affected with slow performance refer to Why 64-bit SQL Server been slow during query performance? link.