SQL Server Performance

What Version Is It?

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Feb 4, 2009.

1. shanetasker New Member

The January version of SQL Server 2008 Books Online has recently been released and is now available for download. Updates to Books Online are now being made available on a quarterly basis and it is a good idea to make sure that you always have the latest version of the documentation. However, this herein is where the problem lies. Like many people I have SQL Server 2005 and 2008 installed on my workstation. When I type SQL Server Books Online into the Start Search menu in Vista I get two versions listed. Likewise if I type SQL Server Profiler I get the 2008 and 2005 version listed and there is no way to differentiate them as even the icons are the same. Instead, you need to check the path of the shortcut to identify the right one. If you think of any other application such as Microsoft Excel the version is included in the shortcut so that when you search for Excel you can clearly see which version is 2003 and which is 2007. Is having the version of each SQL Server application in the shortcut name important to you?
    - Peter Ward