SQL Server Performance

When Are Job Losses Not Job Losses?

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Jan 8, 2009.

1. shanetasker New Member

Many organizations are looking for cost saving measures in the current economic crisis and one of the ways to save money is by reducing staff head count. Microsoft is not immune to the current crisis and based on the comments on the Mini-Microsoft blog, Microsoft appears to be in the middle of what is being termed a Reduction in Force. Despite this, they are not referring this to layoffs despite the rumors that there are no new hires, that staff is not being replaced, and that contractors are being reduced in many teams.
    It is to be expected in the current economic climate that companies are looking at how they can improve efficiency by doing 'more with less', however it appears that entire product divisions are disappearing. What is interesting is that there are reports that there are cutbacks occurring in the SQL Server team. The release date of in the first half of 2010 for the SQL Server release code-named "Kilimanjaro" seemed to be very aggressive and I wonder what these staff cutbacks will mean for the ship date and included functionality?
    - Peter Ward
  2. JJeffreySchwartz New Member

Microsoft has created a monster - sometimes, the monster eats itself!! Imagine spending 1/2 of ALL of your budget money on training!! With a new operating system every 18 - 24 months - and a new version of SQL Server every 24 - 36 months - the training NEVER stops!! As a consultant - I often find companies that "upgrade" to the newest SQL Server - ONLY because it is out!! The problems that this causes are many - and deep! I ALWAYS tell my companies - "Upgrade ONLY when the newer version has something that you WANT and NEED to do - but you cannot do in the old version!!" I also tell them to ALWAYS wait 2 year AFTER a release to upgrade - or get it now and be part of the Microsoft "test team" - using YOUR data!