SQL Server Performance

when the node name is created?

Discussion in 'SQL Server Clustering' started by newchina, Sep 21, 2006.

1. newchina New Member

Hi All
    i want to know when the node name of SQL Server clustering is created? especially for active/active cluster? there are two node names on the list when intalling active/active clustering. i guess windows admin creates them. when or how are they created? anyone has this information? thanks,

2. Haywood New Member

A node in MSCS is the physical machine, the name you see for the 'node' is the physical machine name. So, it's created when the admin builds and installs the box/os initially.
  3. newchina New Member

thanks for your reply.

i know the name for node 1. how about the second node? it should be machine_namesecond-instance_name on active/active clustering, right?
  4. Haywood New Member

I think you might be confusing "Node" with "Instance"... In an active/active cluster you have a default instance (what you're referring to as node1) and a secondary "named" instance (what you're referring to as node2).

Yes, you are correct in that your second instance needs to be Machine_Namesecond-instance name, but your terms are off a bit.

Generally a node is considered to be one of the physical machines that form a cluster. The SQL Server on a cluster is referred to as a "Cluster Resource" and represented by the cluster as a Virtual Name/IP address.

I generally refer to a two node cluster as such:

MachineA = Node 1
    MachineB = Node 2

ClusterName (CL_Foo) = Cluster VIP (virtual interface). This is the cluster service interface and represents the cluster itself.

SQLServer (CL_SQLFoo) = SQL Server VIP (virtual interface). This is the SQL service the applications connect to for db access and represents itself as a resource of the cluster..

5. newchina New Member

thanks, Haywood

yes, i'm still confused with how the second node on active/active cluster comes from. i did active/passive clustering. it's exactly like what you said.

MachineA = Node 1
    MachineB = Node 2

i read the book for active/active clustering. it says on "Cluster Definiction screen" that "you will need to specify which nodes SQL Server will be installed on".
    (link:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight/stepbystepclustering_3.asp?Tab=3 )

so i want to know the second node name on active/active clustering (only one physical machine exists on active/active clustering) comes from?

by the way, have you installed the active/active clustering?

i really appreciated with your reply. thanks again,

--Long
  6. Argyle New Member

You have two physical servers. Their names are the node names. You need to select both when installing instances, doesn't matter if its active/active or active/passive. There is no use selecting only one.