SQL Server Performance

Where Do You Sit?

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Jan 12, 2009.

1. shanetasker New Member

Over the last few years more and more people are starting to work away from the office. Rather than be confined to a cubical, flexibility has become the norm especially with reliable high speed Internet access being available through the use of little more than a laptop and a data card. Although many companies are starting to see the benefits of telecommuting, there are still a large number that like an employee to be working from a cubicle, often for little reason other than to ensure that they are working.
    I was listening to a CD today in a colleague's car that was an interview with a CEO of a software development company. This company had a culture where employees would not leave work before their boss and would act busy focusing on meaningless tasks rather than being first out the door. As a result there was a high volume of sick leave as people were burnt out from the long hours even though they weren't doing any work. One of the challenges he faced was breaking down this culture and I was intrigued by how he used the current economic downturn to his advantage. Rather than tackle the cultural issue head-on he used the high-cost of rent for a cube farm as stimulus to encourage remote working. So is there a reason that you don't work remotely in your organisation?
    - Peter Ward
  2. JJeffreySchwartz New Member

In the consulting word - we call it "face time" and there is no replacement. I prefer to work at work – to define the time that I am working – only because I love doing what I do and often at home – doing the exact same work – will “get lost” and end up working for 12 to 14 hours a day!!! My boss – knows this and allows me to work form home – whenever something is needed in a short time period. I cannot do this all the time – because he is afraid – if the other employees see that I am working from home – they will want to also!! He tried this and it failed miserably – he tried to contact 4 employees working at home at 2:30PM for a meeting – and the no calls were returned until the next day!! I suggested using Yahoo Messenger!!!