SQL Server Performance

Where Is SP3?

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Dec 3, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

I have started to count down the number of sleeps until Christmas and the Advent calendar is already indicating that there are only three weeks until Christmas. As soon as Christmas arrives the year is basically over, as most companies will start to wind down in preparation for 2009. There have been a number of announcements that SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 would be released in the final quarter of 2008; however, this is starting to look unlikely—especially considering we are getting so close to Christmas.
    The Beta of Service Pack 2 for Windows Vista has just been announced, only 10 months after Service Pack 1 for Vista was released on the 4th of February this year. So why is it that a Service Pack for Vista can be released so quickly whereas it is getting close to two years since the release of SQL Server 2005 SP2? Do you think that SQL Server 2005 SP3 will be released in 2008 or will Vista SP2 RTM be first?
    - Peter Ward
  2. dominique New Member

I hope SQL SP3 will be out before Vista as it should address some important issues seen with SQL syntax.Vista is not a priority as several surveys are showing users are waiting for Windows 7 to migrate from XP ... I am not sure Vista was so much deployed yet... Dom