SQL Server Performance

Where is the SQL process in Task Manager for clustered servers?

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Clustering' started by jrdevdba, Oct 9, 2007.

1. jrdevdba New Member

Hello,
    I am having trouble finding the SQL Server 2005 process in a cluster. When I check a non-cluster server with SQL Server 2000, I open the Task Manager and see the sqlservr.exe process with its performance readings. But I don't see that process when I check Task Manager in the SQL 2005 clustered server that I'm viewing.
    Could someone tell me where this process shows up? Is this a SQL 2005 difference or a clustering difference?
    Thanks for any help!
    jrdevdba
  2. thomas New Member

don't use task manager. it's bad!
  3. jrdevdba New Member

Why is Task Manager bad? I know that more detail can be obtained through performance monitoring, but Brad McGehee (an author on this site) recommended it for looking at page faults. I just want to know if the same can be done with SQL 2005 and/or a clustered environment.
    Thanks,
    jrdevdba
  4. thomas New Member

It's better to use System Monitor (aka Performance Monitor) for this kind of thing, task manager is unreliable especially for memory monitoring.
  5. satya Moderator

I second Thomas's suggestion for not using Task Manager for such information, if you are using SQL 2005 then you could better of with DMVs too in addition to using SYSMON.
    Tip: using SSMS (Management studio) you can invoke the SYSMON( PERFMON) tool to get more information.