SQL Server Performance

Which Raid to Build For My Servers?

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Performance Tuning for Hardware' started by vdanelia, Dec 18, 2010.

1. vdanelia New Member

Hello Dear friends, I have a question of building Raid for my servers:

1. I have got Dell PowerEdge 610 Server with 6x 300GB SAS Disks (10000 RPM), 8GB Memory, CPU: Intel Xeon E5506, Server Role is (Microsoft SQL Server)
    Maximum 50 Users will work with this server (In The future the users will be increased).

2. My Second Dell PowerEdge 410 is equipped with 4x 300 GB SAS Disks (15000 RPM), 4GB memory, CPU: Intel Xeon E5503, Server Role is (File Server)
    Maximum 200 User will work with this server (as remote disk They will store Microsoft office, picture, and pdf files).

Please advice which raid to configure for each server for best performance and data safety?
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

Witch percentage of reads and writes you'll have for each server?
  3. vdanelia New Member

Thank you for your reply, but can't understood what you mean with the percentage?
  4. Luis Martin Moderator

The application will write o read more into database?.

5. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    For the first configuration I suggest RAID 1 or 1+0 if the budget allows, as they are expensive and equally good for scalability & performance. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc966534.aspx fyi.
    For the second one I suggest RAID5 as you say it is used for a storage purpose with less number of users.