SQL Server Performance

Which service to be set auto start for SQL server 2008

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by braveheart, Mar 26, 2009.

1. braveheart New Member

Hi all,
    I have recently installed SQL Server 2008 - Developer Edition on Windows Vista Home basic and just wondering, which services should be set to auto start in order to be used as database server ? SQL Server Browser service ? I have set the auto startup for SQL Server Agent.
    Thanks in advance.

2. melvinlusk Member

The SQL Server Service (MSSQLSERVER) is an absolute requirement for auto-start if you want to access SQL. The SQL Server Agent is only required if you want to run scheduled SQL jobs, so auto-start isn't really necessary but won't hurt anything if you use it. The SQL Server Browser is really only needed if you have other SQL Servers in your environment. Integration Services is needed for doing data exports/imports to other sources.
    Developer Edition on Home Basic? Please tell me you're not planning to use this in any sort of business capacity....
  3. braveheart New Member

[quote user="melvinlusk"]
    The SQL Server Service (MSSQLSERVER) is an absolute requirement for auto-start if you want to access SQL. The SQL Server Agent is only required if you want to run scheduled SQL jobs, so auto-start isn't really necessary but won't hurt anything if you use it. The SQL Server Browser is really only needed if you have other SQL Servers in your environment. Integration Services is needed for doing data exports/imports to other sources.
    Thanks for the explanation Melvin !
    Developer Edition on Home Basic? Please tell me you're not planning to use this in any sort of business capacity....
    LoL, I have Home basic on my laptop as default and SQL 2008 doesn't required IIS to be running so for study purposes, i can utilize this without spending money to upgrade this into business/ultimate.
    and 1 more thing, let say I have small business running (restaurant) and needed Business Intelligence functionality from SQL server 2008 for analyzing purposes. Can I use Windows Vista Business edition as OS or should I go for Small Business Server 2008 ? Considering, this will be pure BI server and only connecting to OLTP database server for daily ETL.Please advise and Thanks in advance.
    [/quote]
  4. melvinlusk Member

Sorry I'm just now responding.
    If you're just going to use BI then I don't see a problem with Vista Business.