SQL Server Performance

Which SQL Server 2005?

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Integration Services' started by v1rt, Dec 18, 2008.

1. v1rt New Member

Hi folks,
    I would to learn how to write SSIS package. However, I found out today just this evening that my rights on our DEVELOPMENT box is read-only. LOL. [:mad:]
    Anyways, since I don't want to waste my time waiting for the dba to change my rights, I would like to install the server on my laptop. I already have the client tools full version installed on my laptop. All I need is the server part. I am at this link right now, http://www.microsoft.com/express/2005/sql/download/default.aspx, I would like to know which one I need to install.
    SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2
    or
    SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services SP2
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Neil
  2. Elisabeth Redei New Member

Hi,
    What you get with advanced is:
    - SQL Server 2005 Management Studio Express (SSMSE). - but you already have SSMS installed
    - Fulltext search capabilities
    - Ability to run SQL Server Reporting Services reports on local relational data.
    SSIS is however, not included. If it's a development environment, why don't you get a SQL Server Developer Edition ($ 50)? It contains all features of Enterprise Edition but you can only use it in Dev Envirnoment and only be used by one developer (license restrictions, not really techncial restrictions).
    /Elisabeth
  3. satya Moderator

4. v1rt New Member

Awesome! I'll check it out tonight.
    I have a new question. When I was installing the advance, it mentioned somewhere that I already have the application. So I canceled it.
    Anyways, I wrote my first SSIS package which is importing Excel spreadsheet and then insert the data to a table. However, I couldn't find it SQL Server Management Studio. Looks like it is different from our legacy DTS. We can easily see the DTS we created in Enterprise Management. So where does it gets saved? Or how do we install a SSIS package to our SQL server?
    Thanks.
    Neil
  5. satya Moderator