SQL Server Performance

why the SQL Server Agent is grey?

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by newchina, Sep 25, 2006.

1. newchina New Member

Hi Guru
    i have a question: why i can't tell if the SQL Server Agent is running or not under management on some servers on my client desktop EM? we have some SQL Server 2000 running on windows 2003. i can see some SQL Server Agent running on EM, some i can't see if they are running or not--there is not running sign there? could anyone tell me why? on clustering situation? i'm confused.

--Long
  2. bradmcgehee New Member

If you are not running a cluster, Enterprise Manager, Services Manager, or the Services Administrative Tool can all be used to see if the SQL Server Agent is running. If you are running a cluster, all of the previous tools will work, plus the addition of Cluster Administrator.

Sometimes, I have seem problems where Enterprise Manager will not show the state of a SQL Server application correctly. In these cases, exiting and restarting Enterprise Manger resolves the problems.

Be sure that you have the SQL Server Agent set to start when the SQL Server Service starts. This can be done from Enterprise Manager.

-----------------------------
    Brad M. McGehee, SQL Server MVP
  3. newchina New Member

but i couldn't see the arrow sign that means the SQL Agent running on some servers which are not in clustering. does the service account affect it?
  4. satya Moderator

If you are looking this from Enterprise Manager I guess it may be the flaky behaviour of EM, if not you can run sp_help_jobhistory to see the behaviour of jobs in the server.

Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
    This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.