SQL Server Performance

Windows NT Workstation Support

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements' started by vbkenya, Jun 29, 2003.

1. vbkenya New Member

2. gaurav_bindlish New Member

So Microsoft is sticking to its guns to phase out the old OS.

I am sad to see the demise of one of the good OS in the market which brought a recolution of client server computing in the market. But as we sat, every cloud has silver lining, this means an end to era of one of the most vulnerable and insecure system as well.

I wonder when they'll phase out the SQL Server 6.5. Or (pardon my ignorance) they have done already?

Gaurav
  3. satya Moderator

Yeah, 6.5 is out of picture now.
    Officially twas last year, but since March 2003 no more calls or help related to 6.5 version. We should depend on the available KBAs and other information.

This aspect of shutting down help for good old application by MS is distressing.

_________
    Satya SKJ
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  4. gaurav_bindlish New Member

I think this is not that bad even. They have been supporting SQL server 6.5 even 5 years after the next version was relased. Supporting 3 different versions of a software is definately difficult. Also when it comes to OS, as soon as u find a flaw in the OS, u'll have to relase patch for all the versions.

But I beleive all these problems arise due to next versions coming in pretty soon.

Gaurav
  5. vbkenya New Member

When Yukon and "Visual Studio for Yukon" are ready I won't be surprised to hear that Windows 2000 will slowly start getting phased out. The whole .NET thing will kill W2K.

Nathan H.O.
  6. vbkenya New Member

quote:

......And at the end of this year, MS will be "liberated" from support for Exchange 5.5. And to top the festivities off, in exactly a year-and-a half from now, they are stopping NT4 server support. Are you planning ahead? By now you should.

W2K News

Nathan H.O.