SQL Server Performance

Windows Security patches - Any risks?

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by akothand, Jun 9, 2006.

1. akothand New Member

All,

In many of my previous places, we just dump whatever MS provides as security updates (Especially the high critical ones) such as MS05-039,MS05-041 etc to our Dev and prod servers.

But in my current place they have this meticulous process where they want to apply it in Dev, then release it in prod.

By your experiences, have you seen any risk at all with these Security patch updates from MicroSoft (most of them seem to be IE related)?

Thanks for your time

Thanks,
    Anand.K

Purity, patience, and perseverance are the three essentials to success
    and, above all, love - Swami Vivekananda
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

As far I know, no problem.

Luis Martin
    SQL-Server-Performance.com

All in Love is Fair
    Stevie Wonder

All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

3. akothand New Member

Thank you Luis

Thanks,
    Anand.K

Purity, patience, and perseverance are the three essentials to success
    and, above all, love - Swami Vivekananda
  4. ghemant Moderator

Hi,
    no problems at all we also apply it on our Production and Development Server.

Regards

Hemantgiri S. Goswami
    ghemant@gmail.com
    "Humans don't have Caliber to PASS TIME , Time it self Pass or Fail Humans" - by Hemantgiri S. Goswami
  5. satya Moderator

I suggest to test them before on the development/test environment with similar configuration that matches the PRoduction one and then apply on the live ones in order to avoid any spurious issues or performance related problems.

Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
    This posting is provided �AS IS� with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  6. cmdr_skywalker New Member

its rare you encounter problems but they sometimes exists. check first with test server.

May the Almighty God bless us all!
    www.empoweredinformation.com
  7. Mixa New Member

In our environment, we take an image of the OS 1st and then apply any patches.
  8. satya Moderator

Well, that another best option to follow and in any case always suggested to test the implications of service pack and hotfix on a test environment which can simulate the production environment.

Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
    This posting is provided �AS IS� with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.