SQL Server Performance

Windows Server 2003 SE and Memory Usage

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by DBADave, Sep 26, 2005.

1. DBADave New Member

We have one server with SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition running on Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition. The server is reporting 3.6GB of memory installed. I know SQL 2000 SE can use a maximum of 2GB. If I set the max memory to 2 GB for SQL Server will the OS utilize the remaining 1.6GB of memory or do I need to set the PAE switch? I've been researching PAE/AWE, but most information I found deals with 2003 Enterprise Edition or Datacenter Edition.

Thanks, Dave
  2. derrickleggett New Member

You'll need to set the /PAE switch. Otherwise, you'll have two or roughly 1.6GB that actually get used by SQL Server.

MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
  3. DBADave New Member

I'm not sure I understand. I thought the /PAE switch does not work with SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition. Am I wrong?

I know it works at the OS level, which is why I was wondering if it would benefit Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition. Having read a few more links tonight it sounds like the OS will use up to 2GB of memory without a switch being set.

Dave
  4. satya Moderator

5. derrickleggett New Member

Urrrr, I mean the /3GB switch. Sorry about that. I was smoking crack or something yesterday. SQL Server 2000 will ONLY support up to 2GB of RAM. However, usually I have found it only uses about 1.6GB or so when a server has 4GB of RAM. The /PAE switch allows usage of more than 4GB of RAM. The /3GB switch restricts the OS to only 1GB of RAM, as opposed to two. IF the server is a dedicated SQL Server, you could theoretically see a slight increase in the overall RAM used. The /PAE switch and a big server on the other hand would not really utilize the full resources without going to Enterprise Edition.

MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.