SQL Server Performance

Workplace Challenges

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Dec 18, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

There have been a lot of people of late that have been blogging about their most challenging work situations. I have worked with a large number of organisations over the years and I would have to say that the most challenging experiences have always been related to soft skills rather than technical skills. There are many places that you can turn to in order to solve technical challenges such as a cluster not failing over correctly or a database that is marked as suspect. There are online forums such as at SQL-Server-Performance.com and blog posts and a myriad of Microsoft knowledge base articles or even old-fashioned methods such as talking to a colleague. However, often there is nowhere to turn to when there are issues such as a manager not responding or more-serious matters such as workplace harassment. There are H.R. teams in larger organisations to deal with these challenges, but as a consultant you are often out on your own. What strategies have you used to deal with some of the soft skill challenges in the workplace?
    - Peter Ward
  2. logan1998 New Member

We're a small outfit of less than 10 people. I've had issues with my boss looking at everything from a database design point of view and not even thinking about customer impact of changes, timelines for rebuilds, costs to implement changes, if people even want the change, employee receptiveness, etc. He doesn't even see that we've implemented some of his technical ideas. Mostly we developers/customer relations people ignore him and do what progresses and sells our software. Is that a solution? Ignoring? :)