SQL Server Performance

xp_cmdshell

Discussion in 'General Developer Questions' started by Sailu, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Sailu New Member

Hi friends

I am using a query in xp_cmdshell. when I am trying to execute the query I am getting an error

Query hints exceed maximum command buffer size of 1023 bytes (1179 bytes input).
    : No error
    NULL

Actually I am passing a Query of big size to xp_cmdshell. How do u deal this sought of cases? I want some solution to be appied to ASAP.

Thanks in advance

regds
    Sailu
  2. satya Moderator

The command line is limited (to approximately 414 bytes). Exceeding the limit causes the assertion failure.

Ensure the latest service pack is applied to SQL.

Satya SKJ
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  3. dineshasanka Moderator

From BOL (xp_cmdshell):

'command_string'

Is the command string to execute at the operating-system command shell.
    command_string is varchar(255) or nvarchar(4000), with no default.
    command_string cannot contain more than one set of double quotation marks. A
    single pair of quotation marks is necessary if any spaces are present in the
    file paths or program names referenced by command_string. If you have trouble
    with embedded spaces, consider using FAT 8.3 file names as a workaround.

quote:Originally posted by Sailu

Hi friends

I am using a query in xp_cmdshell. when I am trying to execute the query I am getting an error

Query hints exceed maximum command buffer size of 1023 bytes (1179 bytes input).
    : No error
    NULL

Actually I am passing a Query of big size to xp_cmdshell. How do u deal this sought of cases? I want some solution to be appied to ASAP.

Thanks in advance

regds
    Sailu