2 channel or 1 channel RAID 5 | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

2 channel or 1 channel RAID 5

Hi, I have PowerVault 220s with 10 drives, and dual channel RAID controller at PowerEdge 2850.
Now question is, Do I 1- Use Single Channel to create RAID 5 with 10 drives or
2- Use Both Channels to create RAID 5 with 5 drives each on each Channel? Will it make any difference? 1- I am going to have single RAID 5.
2- Single RAID 5 on difference Channels, is it really recommended? Regards, Waqar.

What is the usage of the database and its growth in next 3 or 5 years?
How about application connectivity setup on network and resource usage on the server? Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
As far I know, I’ll go with two channels.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com Although nature commences with reason and ends in experience it is necessary for us to do the opposite, that is to commence with experience and from this to proceed to investigate the reason.
Leonardo Da Vinci Nunca esperes el reconocimiento de tus hijos, eso ocurrirá luego de tu muerte
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Current 2 DBs size is 250GB (50GB textbased/200GB imagebased), and expecting to be double or triple in size in next 2-3 years.
But unfortunatly, yesterday i try to change my PowerVault220S from Single Channel to Double Channel and my computer get stuck at scsi intialization place (and was keep looking for more than 20 min).
I have total 14 slots have unit of 7×7. I try to put 5 in one unit and 5 in other but it don’t work, not sure if some one here have experience with PowerVault220S.
]]>