32-bit server linked to a 64-bit server | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

32-bit server linked to a 64-bit server

I have added a SQL Server 2000 32-bit server as a Linked Server to my SQL Server 2000 64-bit server. I have set the Security Context as the SA user and password of the linked server as this has always been successful in the past when linking two 32-bit servers.
The 64-bit uses Windows 2003, the 32-bit uses Windows 2000 Advanced Server. When attempting to access data from the linked 32-bit server:
(eg: Select * from SVR32.model.dbo.sysobjects)
I get the following error reply.
Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
OLE DB provider ‘SQLOLEDB’ reported an error.
[OLE/DB provider returned message: Unspecified error]
[OLE/DB provider returned message: The stored procedure required to complete this operation could not be found on the server (they were supplied with the ODBC setup disk for the SQL Server driver). Please contact your system administrator.]
OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider ‘SQLOLEDB’ IDBSchemaRowset::GetRowset returned 0x80004005: ].
This is the first time that I have added linked servers to the 64-bit server so this error is not sudden or unexpected.
Any suggestions on how to rectify this are welcomed.
I have not done anything different or unusual during the 64-bit installation (character sets, etc. are identical) and the server appears to perform correctly in all other aspects expected of a 64-bit version.
I only have a single ‘setup disk’ for SQL Server 2000 64-bit and do not know what other ‘setup disk’ this error message could be refering to.
I do know that DTS packages cannot be executed directly on 64-bit versions. Could queries across linked servers be considered as a form of DTS and therefore relevant to this error?
May check this linkhttp://www.microsoft.com/sql/64bit/default.asp for any information on special setup of linked server on 64 bit edition. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>