About service packs | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

About service packs

HI DBA’s
Can any one give me breif explanation abt how we need to react for service packs, i mean what are the roles of DBA to perform when installing new service packs for sql server 2000.
In any case you must deploy the latest service packs in order to resolve some of the bugs that are unable to resolve with previous releases. But always test, test and test before deploying it on the production. As the new fixes are good in some cases and they are meant to degrade the performance also. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
quote:… they are meant to degrade the performance also.

Satya, are you saying that Microsoft is releasing fixes with the intention of degrading the performance of SQL Server? What supporting evidence do you have of that? That doesn’t make sense to me… [V]
I don’t thing Satya want to said that, instead some times fixes degrade performance same time fix a bug. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
I feel before installing the service packs,
we need to read the bug fixes in that latest issue.
If it has fixes which you are facing with current SP then you can test the new SP.
Sometimes installing new SP crashes the whole SQL so its better to test the newer realese of SP
on development etc and in the end on PROD.
MS never had the intension of degrading SQL with latest release of SP.
Flachance That was not my intention, I mean to say during new releases some of bugs and processes will be changed as compared to previous versions. In this case you may hit on performance as I’ve seen many posts related to this fashion stating ‘…it used to work in SP3a and now when I’ve applied SP4 the performance is affected’. In anycase it is better to read README.HTML file that comes with every release of Service pack or hotfix.
quote:Originally posted by flachance
quote:… they are meant to degrade the performance also.

Satya, are you saying that Microsoft is releasing fixes with the intention of degrading the performance of SQL Server? What supporting evidence do you have of that? That doesn’t make sense to me… [V]

Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>