Alerts Not working | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Alerts Not working

I just installed a new SQL Server. I created some alerts on this server, but they dont seem to fire. For instance I just created a log failed alert 18456, I then tested the alert by attempting to log in to the server with a bogus password and nothing happend, the alert reports that it has never occured. Has this happend to any one?
Check Troubleshooting Alerts in BOL, may be help. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com The views expressed here are those of the author and no one else. There are no warranties as to the reliability or accuracy of anything presented here.
How are you sending the alert? Net Send? Check if the messenger service is running on the machine. Gaurav
Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

The views expressed here are those of the author and no one else. There are no warranties as to the reliability or accuracy of anything presented here.
I’m using send email, that is not the problem though. They dont even show up as fired (Last Occured).
Ok I dont mean to go in circles her, but I have not solved this issue. I already read a gang of docs relating to Alert trouble shooting. Agent and Event log Services are turned on, operators working correctly, events are logged in application and sql error logs, service pak updated sp3. If I change the Alert type to fire only on performance conditions "it works". It is when I change the event to a SQL event alert that it gives me the problems. The funny thing is that it is only on this server. Before I reinstall can anyone give me any other advice?
Are you sure there are no trace falgs that need to be enabled for the SQL Server events to be visible? Gaurav
Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

The views expressed here are those of the author and no one else. There are no warranties as to the reliability or accuracy of anything presented here.
How about reinstall sp3?
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com
When you go to performance monitor, do the SQL Server trace groups show? MeanOldDBA
[email protected] When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/3081171-fyi. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Thanks everyone. Gaurav Which specific trace flags should I enable?
Luis I installed SP3a.
MeanOldDBA yes all the trace groups do show.
Satya I dont think the link works is correct.
]]>