Application ignores sql auth in odbc connection | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Application ignores sql auth in odbc connection

We have installed a third party utility rate planning application (CapitalSoft) that appears to ignore the authentication settings provided in odbc. We are trying to use SQL authentication but are having some problems. I should note that I can successfully connect to the database using Crystal Reports using this dsn and SQL authentication. Here’s the error log message in SQL when the dsn is set to SQL authentication
login failed for user ‘CITYscaldwell’ It appears to me that it’s attempting to use windows authentication. We can connect when we create a group in active directory with assigned users and give the group access to the database. What’s odd is that I can change the default database in the dsn and it still connects. I guess the database name is hard coded in the application. The vendor is unable to come up with an answer, except for "it works for so & so…we don’t know why it won’t work for you". We have had several webex encounters and they are "mystified" by the problem. They’ve never seen it before. We have two other application that utilize the same method of connecting and they behave as expected. We are in the process of migrating from Novell to Windows and aren’t ready to implement windows authentication as a "work around" for this problem. I realize this is probably a software issue and not a SQL issue, but I thought someone on the forum might have a suggestion or some additional troubleshooting ideas. Thanks in advance, Scott Windows 2003 Server Standard
SQL 2000 sp4
MDAC 2.8
What are settings in SQL?.
Windows and sql authentication?
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
We are using mixed mode authentication. Thanks, Scott
I suppose you allready try testing conexion using odbc, I mean create a new conexion with WA or Sql Auth and test it before user application.
If I’m right, I suggest to contact vendor because may be is application problem.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
May refer tohttp://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126 for any clue. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>