Application running slow on database. | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Application running slow on database.

Okay, so I have an application that is running slow on a database. I exported specific table data from this db and imported it into another; redirected the application to point to new database. Application now runs smoothly. What do you think caused it to run slow in the old database? The server was just rebooted, so tempdb is not full. I know this is probably a very generic question with a lot of possible suggestions, but I’m just starting to learn sql server, and my knowledge is quite limited. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Kevin. Kevin Fralick
Did you update full stastitics and/or rebuild indexes as part of maintenance plan? Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All in Love is Fair
Stevie Wonder
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Actually I think that indexes may be the problem. I originally took a full backup of the original database and imported it into a test environment, which is where my application runs smoothly. Indexes were successfully created in this test environment. However, upon taking an export of certain tables in this test environment and importing them back into the original environment, it appears that the indexes were NOT CREATED! This, of course, would slow down the application queries. I’m now gonna try and re-create those indexes back on this environment and see if performance increases. So it appears that a full backup of a database includes the indexes, but a partial export of selected tables does not include them? Is this correct? Kevin. Kevin Fralick
"So it appears that a full backup of a database includes the indexes, but a partial export of selected tables does not include them? Is this correct?" You have to include indexes when export a table. But there is no way with fullbackup or export to translate statistics.
So after export you must update statistics at least for that table. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All in Love is Fair
Stevie Wonder
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
]]>