Automating "picture" of server performance | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Automating "picture" of server performance

Hi all I need to do the following using the performance monitor tool. Im monitoring the %cpu used, transaction/sec and page/sec of a server using the perfomance monitor. What i would need to do is to monitor all these information in a log that will reset himself once it has reached its maximum size limit. I also need to be able to take a "screenshot" of what was in the log when it became full but i cannot simply save the file because it would use too much space in the long run. Is there a way for me to automating this information and make it so that each time the log become full i can take a screenshot (By that i mean getting a image of the information under the form of a graphic) of what was inside the log before it restart? I cannot simply save the data as html file because the file use the data from the log. If the log change, so does the data and i want to keep the data even if it change. Ask if you need more precision Dale
Not with default tools installed with WIndows & SQL Server, may be third party tools can be some help here.
Other than using manual Copy & Paste I don’t see any way out. If it helps you can even export to excel and make use of graphs.
Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information on it.
Another question then : Is the growth of a log file (created from this) constant? I think it will since it only record the value of different thing at at specific moment in time but i want to be sure.

Dale — can you reduce the interval of the perfmon samples, and then log to file (so the file is not so huge) and thereby save the file itself? Saving the log data is the best way I know of to keep this information, and if the sample rate is reasonable the files are not too big.
I found out it will be much easier and simpler to just keep the log file each day and make statistics out of it at the end of the week. Thanks for your answers.
You can schedule to have multiple log files or one file within a specified period.
Keeping the log files between a specific period is better than having them in 1 huge file, you migth try using EXCEL in this case as it can be realtime to get you the solution. There are third party tools for such requirement, unless something your management is fancy enough I don’t see any reason to use them here other than PERFMON or that are available with windows operating sysstem/ Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information on it.
]]>