Backing up SQL Server Agent Jobs | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Backing up SQL Server Agent Jobs

I have recently been anointed a DBA after having taken an online SQL Admin course, so please excuse my noobieness. We are running Microsoft SQL Server 2000 and I am looking for a way to backup the SQL Server Agent jobs using SQL Server Enterprise Manager. The only soultion I’ve come up with is making a text file with the scheduling info, notifications, and SQL commands. Surely there’s a better way. Thanks in advance.
There is differents way to backup database.
1rst you have to decide what kind of backup: Full, incremental,..?
Also you can find severals articles in our web. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
It was my understanding that the SQL Server Agent jobs are not contained in any database. I thought only scheduling info and the like were contained in the msdb database. I’m mostly interested in some way to backup the jobs themselves.
Ok, now I understand.
The way to backup jobs is to create an script.
Right click on jobs, all task, generate a script. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Thank you. I had, what I think is unusual behavior when I tried to rename the folder that contained the script I generated. I got a message that the folder couldn’t be renamed because it was in use. I closed SQL Enterprise Manager and then was able to change the name of the folder, strange behavior but then I’m a noobie.
True. Also if you try to delete the folder, same problem plus scrpt is no longer there.
Don’t worry about that, and don’t worry about noobie all of us were noobies too.
Luis Martin
As a DBA you must backup the system databases aswell alongwith user databases backup schedule, all the jobs, notificiations, DTS packages are stored under MSDB database and keeping system databases backup regularly will save the work. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>