Backup failure notification | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Backup failure notification

We have a 3rd party tool that sends email notification based upon the eventid in the Event viewed Application Log. Note: SQL Mail is not used and is not allowed to be used on the server(s). I am having trouble determining what eventid that will work under all backup failure conditions. Please help.

There can be multiple reasons due to that a SQL backup can fail.. You need to find every single condition and related event id. When backup fails due to space unavailability, it raise 17055 event id, which is the same when backup completes successfully. (The only difference is event type is critical when fail, and informational when complete)
Event Type:Error
Event Source:MSSQLSERVER
Event Category:(6)
Event ID:17055
Date:9-03-2004
Time:07:21:15
User:
Computer:
Description:
3041 :
BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP LOG [xxx] TO [xxx] WITH NOINIT , NOUNLOAD , NAME = N’xxx transactionslog backup’, SKIP , STATS = 10, DESCRIPTION = N’xxx transactionslog backup’, NOFORMAT Deepak Kumar –An eye for an eye and everyone shall be blind
Check that third party tool has any setting where it can respond for WARNING events from Event Viewer. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
I noticed that when a backup fails the Eventid is indeed 17055 and the Event type is "Error". Can I rely on the event viewer’s Category "(6)" field to substantiate uniqueness, when combined with with EventID 17055 and an Event type of "Error". The reason I ask is that I notice other events (relating to perhaps a optimization job on the server) with EventID 17055 and an Event type of "Error", but the Category returned on those events is "(2)". Those with a Category (2) say there is either a problem with the specified path or the file is in use by another process. Just wondering if a combination of EventID = 17055, Event type = "Error", and Category (6) might be a reliable combination for determining backup failure?
Are they using MOM for this by any chance? If they are, then there’s an add-on they can apply for SQL Server. It does all this for you, so you don’t have to spend hours figuring it out. MeanOldDBA
[email protected] When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
SQL LiteSpeed is hacing that facility
http://www.edgewoodsolutions.com/resources/BackupAndRestoreLiteSpeed.asp
quote:Are they using MOM

I am not sure what you mean.
it is a Management tool
http://www.faqshop.com/mom/momsqlmpack.htm
quote:Originally posted by rerichards
quote:Are they using MOM

I am not sure what you mean.

Since I am dealt the current hand of cards I have, and not wanting to document all the different ways a backup may fail, would a reasonable solution be to call a stored procedure to run the backup job, and if the job fails, raise an error in the stored procedure to write to the event log a unique eventid of my choosing?
]]>