cannot start sql server agent | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

cannot start sql server agent

hi
We have a test sql server everything on it was restored from original sql using veritas software.
Because i had difficulty start sql server i reinstall it. then restored master,msdb,user dbs. Our system administrator was very upset about that because he belived that after reinstalling sql there is no more miror sql so he took the c drive from original box
and put it in test to make identical sqls. even i disagree with him i still had to make sql work. Sql work now but i cannot start sql server agent .
When i start it report failure sugestion to contact sys admin
and then is Windows event log i see the messege :"SQL server agent was successfully stopped" .Please notice successfully stoped not failed to start. could someone help?>
Look in the SQL Server Agent Error Log, it should have more details. /Argyle
And event log messages before current SQL server…… Luis Martin …Thus mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true.
Bertrand Russell
i don’t have sql agent error log haw to set it up?
quote:Originally posted by Argyle Look in the SQL Server Agent Error Log, it should have more details. /Argyle

thank you Argyle I was wondering why i do not have sql server agent log and notice that file sqlserveragent.out path which doesn’t exist so i direct sql agent to right path AND successfully START THE AGENT tHANK YOU
On SQL Server Agent, right click "display error log" Luis Martin …Thus mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true.
Bertrand Russell
Right click and display sql agent error log was returning error until i fix the path for file name (general tab)
i guess replacing c drive mada a little mess…
If not you can find SQLAgent.out from mssqllog directory. (my thought)
BTW have you removed BUILTINAdministrators, the issue does not occur if the SQLAgent service is starting under a domain or computer account that is listed separately in SQL Server Enterprise Manager and that has System Administrators (sysadmin) privileges. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

]]>