Can't find Intergration stuff in mgmt studio | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Can’t find Intergration stuff in mgmt studio

I am testing SQL 2005 intergration services and new to this SQL management studio interface. Where can I find the intergration services folder in the SQL managemetn studio. The integration service is running. Is there something I need to turn on to see the features or folders under the management studio. Wingman
SSIS project is tobe created using Business Intelligence Studio. Madhu
Thanks for the quick response. If I want to import and and export data like DTS in SQL 2000, you meant I have to install Business Intelligence studio to see the package (or project) I created. See, I can import and export using the current SQL 2005 management Studio, but when I save it as a package, it saves but I don’t know where to find my saved stuff in the studio management tool. Wingman
quote:Originally posted by madhuottapalam SSIS project is tobe created using Business Intelligence Studio. Madhu

What u need to understand here is , SQL Server Management Studio is to manage SQL Server Objects. DTS Designer in Enterprise Manager SQL 2000 equivalent in SQL 2005 is SSIS in Business Intelligence Development Studio. You can not Design/Edit/Modifiy a SSIS package using SQL Server Management Studio. Having said that, u r rightly said that u can create SSIS pacakage using IMPORT/EXPORT Data wizard and save that either as File system or in SQL Server. If your problem is to view these created pakage from SQL Server Management Studio, follow these steps
(a) Object Explorer
(b) Connect
(c) Select "Integration Service"
(d) giver user name and password you will have a Stored Package Node where u can "MANAGE" i repeat Manage your packages. There is no need to install BIDS explicitly, its by default installed with the SQL Server SSIS service other than SQL Sever Express Edition.

To Edit/Modify existing SQL Server saved package follow these steps (a) Open a Integration Service Project in BIDS
(b) You can find a SSIS Package Node in Solution Explorer window
(c) Press Right button on SSIS Package
d) Select "Add Existing Package"
(e) Follow the system instruction (it is simple) Madhu

Thanks for the all the detail. I really appreciate your time. Sorry about all these dump questions, I couldn’t find the answers I want on Book-online and maybe I just didn’t know what keywords I should search. Anyway, where can I find the BIDS? During the SQL 2005 developer installation, I selected the database engine, integration services, and tools and book-online. However, it is possible I didn’t select all the tools. Is it why I can’t find BIDS? I am not in a place that I can put the dvd into the server to check and that’s why I ask the question. Wingman
quote:Originally posted by madhuottapalam To Edit/Modify existing SQL Server saved package follow these steps (a) Open a Integration Service Project in BIDS
(b) You can find a SSIS Package Node in Solution Explorer window
(c) Press Right button on SSIS Package
d) Select "Add Existing Package"
(e) Follow the system instruction (it is simple) Madhu

which edition of SQL Server u installed?
SQL 2005 developer version
quote:Originally posted by madhuottapalam which edition of SQL Server u installed?

I replied to you early but just want to add one more thing. If during the installation of SQL 2005 developer version, I unchecked the installation of Business Intelligent tool in the tools and Book on-line menu tree, I assume this may cause my problem not finding the BIDS, although I don’t remember if I did that or not. Let’s say I did unchecked the selection, how can I reinstall it? The reason I ask is because when I tried to install it from the CD again, it said the feature is already installed. If it was installed, I can’t believe I have such a hard time finding BIDS. I would think it is in the same place where I find the SQL server Management Studio from the All programs menu of the ‘start’ button.
quote:Originally posted by madhuottapalam which edition of SQL Server u installed?

Developer Edition includes all of the functionality of Enterprise Edition. Business Integlligence Development Studio (BIDS) is available in Start — Program File — Microsoft SQL Server 2005 — SQL Server Business Intelligence Developemnt Studio (BIDS) Madhu

I thought like you too but it is not there. You know, maybe I didn’t install SQL 2005 developer correctly. So I installed the same developer version on my laptop and select database engine service, Intergration services, and development tools and on-lone book. I didn’t exclude any items inside each selection. I still didn’t get the BIDS. Do I need to select more services to install? I am extremely puzzled. wingman
quote:Originally posted by madhuottapalam Developer Edition includes all of the functionality of Enterprise Edition. Business Integlligence Development Studio (BIDS) is available in Start — Program File — Microsoft SQL Server 2005 — SQL Server Business Intelligence Developemnt Studio (BIDS) Madhu

check the installed services in SQL Server COnfiguration Manager Tool. Is Integration Service Installed ? Madhu
check all the tools are installed. In SQL Server Tools CD , there is a folder Setup. IF BIDS is not installed run, VS_setup.exe from this folder, basically, Both Visual Studio 2005 and BIDS uses the same shell. Madhu
Yes, the intergration service is shown in configuration manager. I will check the CD later today. By the way, do you know why the tool is not available after the SQL 2005 installaion?
quote:Originally posted by madhuottapalam check all the tools are installed. In SQL Server Tools CD , there is a folder Setup. IF BIDS is not installed run, VS_setup.exe from this folder, basically, Both Visual Studio 2005 and BIDS uses the same shell. Madhu

Generally , these kind of problem comes when u install from Local Dumps and u r not named the folders Servers and Tools. i can not see anyohter reasons…. Madhu
I have a DVD media of SQL 2005 developer version and I did a search for the file name VS* and none is found.
quote:Originally posted by madhuottapalam check all the tools are installed. In SQL Server Tools CD , there is a folder Setup. IF BIDS is not installed run, VS_setup.exe from this folder, basically, Both Visual Studio 2005 and BIDS uses the same shell. Madhu

I have finally figured out (with a hint from another SQL news group) why SQL 2k5 Installation won’t install BIDS. The problem is that I have Microsoft Visual Studio installed on my computer already. During the SQL 2K5 installation, it detected MS VS being there and therefore skipped the installation of BIDS. As soon as I uninstalled MS VS (just for precautionally measure, I removed any remnant of MS VS in registry also), the installation of BIDS works. Since BIDS basically is using MS VS, I can see why this happens. I also learnt one thing too that to add any new components in SQL 2K5 after installation was done, I have to use the Add/Remove program to do so. Wing
quote:Originally posted by madhuottapalam Generally , these kind of problem comes when u install from Local Dumps and u r not named the folders Servers and Tools. i can not see anyohter reasons…. Madhu

it means VS_setup.exe is there in the CD’s Tools folder right?. Madhu
]]>