Change of server intances | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Change of server intances

Hi,
I would like to know the thing i’am trying is possible or not,
in my server named DevServer i had an installation of SQL SERVER 2000 as default instance and i have another named instance of SQL SERVER 2005 on the same server named DevServerSQL2005, my prob here is all clients pointing to DevServer is getting connected to SQL SERVER 2000 as it is the default instance , can i do something to make SQL SERVER 2005 as default instance on DEVSERVER so it should be like DEVSERVER is 2005 instance and DEVSERVERSQL2000 is 2000 named instance. Thanks in advance Mat
No you can change the default to named and named to default instance… Only option is uninstall and reinstall… You give them to right instance to change their DATA SOURCES and/or connection strings to point to named instance.
MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com
quote:Originally posted by matrixchyah2005 Hi,
I would like to know the thing i’am trying is possible or not,
in my server named DevServer i had an installation of SQL SERVER 2000 as default instance and i have another named instance of SQL SERVER 2005 on the same server named DevServerSQL2005, my prob here is all clients pointing to DevServer is getting connected to SQL SERVER 2000 as it is the default instance , can i do something to make SQL SERVER 2005 as default instance on DEVSERVER so it should be like DEVSERVER is 2005 instance and DEVSERVERSQL2000 is 2000 named instance. Thanks in advance Mat

if the problem is all users are connecting to SQL Server 2000 instance , check the connection string in your application… Start SQL Browser or Give Port number in Connection string… There is no need to uninstall and re-install for the sake of connectivity…. Refer :http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms165724.aspx
Otherwise Mohamed has answered your question…
Looks like client apps are not configured to connect sql 2000…
I don’t think if the configuration is to connect to named instance and apps are connecting to default instance… Before doing anything check the client the configuration setting either ODBC/CONNECTION string… MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com
Here application is not the main problem coz using any named instance we can point to any DB’s but in this case just i need to make sql2005 as the default instance and server listings should be DEVSERVER not DEVSERVERSQL2005…..
so as Mr.Mohammed replied is that i got only option remaining is uninstall and reinstall…
??? Thanks
Mat
Either you can disable the Named instance and reinstall the SQL 2005 as a default instance, that named instance can be used for future use (if needed). Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
]]>