Changing machine name | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Changing machine name

We are planning to move our SQL-Server in production to a new server. The Network group want to change the machine name at the same time but IP address will remain the same. What are the impacts? I know that Jobs inheritent the machine name when relocate the SQL-Server. Is anything else affected by changing machine name? CanadaDBA
make sure you run (in master), sp_dropserver OLDNAME followed by sp_addserver NEWNAME, LOCAL
And also you need to update sysjobs to set the ORIGINATING_SERVER name to be the new one where it is the old one. (need to allow ad-hoc updates to system catalogs first if it’s not already enabled.. and switch it off after. that’s pretty much it, I think (in SQL Server 2000) Tom Pullen
DBA, Oxfam GB
… and also refer to the client machines to affect the new servername on their client network utility. [8D] Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Update sysjobs to set the ORIGINATING_SERVER name? How? I thought sp_dropserver and sp_addserver do this but it seems not.
quote:Originally posted by thomas make sure you run (in master), sp_dropserver OLDNAME followed by sp_addserver NEWNAME, LOCAL
And also you need to update sysjobs to set the ORIGINATING_SERVER name to be the new one where it is the old one. (need to allow ad-hoc updates to system catalogs first if it’s not already enabled.. and switch it off after. that’s pretty much it, I think (in SQL Server 2000) Tom Pullen
DBA, Oxfam GB

CanadaDBA
Client machines are using ODBC connection and I believe they use IP address to connect. Is it where and what I should take care or something else?
quote:Originally posted by satya … and also refer to the client machines to affect the new servername on their client network utility. [8D] Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.

CanadaDBA
quote:Originally posted by FarhadR Update sysjobs to set the ORIGINATING_SERVER name? How? I thought sp_dropserver and sp_addserver do this but it seems not. CanadaDBA

–allow updates to system catalogs
exec sp_configure ‘allow updates’, 1
reconfigure with override
–update sysjobs
update sysjobs set orginating_server = ‘NEWNAME’
where originating_server = ‘OLDNAME’
–disallow updates to system catalogs
exec sp_configure ‘allow updates’, 0
reconfigure with override like that Tom Pullen
DBA, Oxfam GB
]]>