Collations and Superscript | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Collations and Superscript

Does anyone know how (and why) SQL 2000 handles superscript? Here’s my problem. On my old server which is in SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS, if I run SELECT CASE WHEN CHAR(185) = ‘1’ then 1 else 0 end I get a 1 back in my results. If I run the same query on a database in LATIN1_General_CI_AS (the 2000 default) the query returns 0. Char(185) is a superscript 1. This is proving to be a real pain for me, ideally on the SQL 2000 collation I need to get this query top return 1 but I can’t see how. Does anyone know of any knowledge base articles that talk about the differences in the collations? Thanks
Simon
The quick answer is that the two collations you mention are not identical. Depending on the regional settings of the Windows session under which SQL Server was installed, you get SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS as default for US English, and for non-US English you get the ‘appropriate’ collation. I don’t think superscript as such is supported, as that is a matter of formatting, or of selecting a font. The extended ASCII set has a number of superscript symbols, and checking those probably depends on the collation.
]]>