Configuring sql server to accept remote connection | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Configuring sql server to accept remote connection

Hi everyone, I’ve got a Win 2003 server running two names instances of SQL Server, one called DED412AHIG which is SQL Server 2000, the other called MSDE which is MSDE 2000 SP3. The problem is i cannot connect to either of them remotely. The TCP properties within the Client Network Utility shows port 1433, however within the registry i have the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL ServerDED412AHIGMSSQLServerSuperSocketNetLibTcpTcpPort: 2901 With this in mind, which port should i actually be trying to connect to. Additionally if i should be connecting to a different port, how can i register a database within Enterprise Manager which is a named instance, and is on a different port than the default 1433??? For my MSDE installation, which is running in Mixed Mode and was installed with the optional parameter DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0, i have the following key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL ServerMSDEMSSQLServerSuperSocketNetLibTcpTcpPort : 1913 Again showing that it is running on a port other than 1433 – therefore i ask the same question, which port should i be connecting to. Can anyone think of any other reason why i cant connect to these instances of SQL Server. Incidentally, by running the following command "telnet myserveripaddress 2901" or "1913" i can connect, however not when i change the port to 1433. Thanks in advance Al
Hi, In the client network utility, enter the same port no as it is shown in the server registry or server network utility. after this try registering the server.
Regards, Chetan J.
]]>