Connection Failure issue | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Connection Failure issue

Greetings, A newbie needing some guidance. We have SQL running on our Windows 2003 server. When I connect via the Enterprise manager I have two instances of SQL running. On the EM Screen, under the SQL Server Group there is (LOCAL)(Windows NT) and FCSERVER1/BKUPEXEC (Windows NT)
when I click on the (LOCAL) instance I get the following error:
A connection could not be established to (LOCAL) Reason: Cannot open user default database. Login failed.. Please verify SQL Server is running and check your SQL Server registration properties. Not sure why we can no longer connect to the local instance, any suggestions on how I can fix this are greatly appreciated. Thanks

What about Query Analyzer, you can connect to local or not?
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
No I cannot connect. I get the following error with Query analyzer: Unable to connect to server Server: Msg 4064, Level 16, State 1
Cannot open user default database. Login failed.
Can you check with SQL server manager if both instances are running?
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
Yes they are both running. No one has reported any problems connecting to any of the databases that run on the (LOCAL) instance. Thanks for your assistance
May be you have problem with account. Check in services if both instances has same account. And, did you try from other PC?. Luis Martin
Bertrand Russell
Not sure what you mean. The way it acts its as if SQL server has lost the ability to authorize a connection via the windows account. As if it has lost its associatoin to the administrator account. So while the instance still runs and is functional, I just can’t connect to it and manage it.
Yeap, stupid question.
What about from other PC, can you connect using EM or QA? Luis Martin
Bertrand Russell
Actually, I am connecting via remote desktop from a WinXP machine. But it doesnt seem to matter, i can’t connect from the server console either.
Use Server Network Utility in SQL server tools (in server) and check both instances looking for TCP and ports.
Luis Martin
Bertrand Russell
Use a SA login or a login with SYSADMIN privileges and change the database owner to SA.
Never attempt to the keep the owner of a database to a user account, refer to the books online about SP_CHANGEDBOWNER and other security related information. Satya SKJ
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Well, Nothing i have tried so far has worked. When I try to logon using SA username/password, it fails and ask me if i still want to modify. At this point i am not even sure i am using a vaild SA login. Not sure what to do next.
First at all find out valid sa login, may someone change it.
Luis Martin
Bertrand Russell Nunca esperes el reconocimiento de tus hijos, eso ocurrirá luego de tu muerte
Even a blind squirrel…i have managed to use the CLI to reset the password for the LOCAL instance. when i did this it said that it couldnt open the user default database so it was using the master database instead. I reset the SA password and the LOCAL instance of SQL now populates with all the databases. However, I cannot logon using windows authentication, it still cannot open the user default database. any help in getting this accomplished is greatly appreciated. Thanks for the previous guidance as well. Gene
Check the Registration Properties (right-click inj EM, Edit R.P.), see if there’s anything fishy there. Especially check which login is specified – sa should work.
had there any pass reset for ur windows account recently? tried re-registering instances in EM ?
]]>