connection pooling across multiple application | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

connection pooling across multiple application

Hi there, I have an SQL application that requires several external processing applications. These applications all run on machines separate from the SQL server, and they all launch in bursts. We are running into a problem with available TCP sockets being eaten up on the SQL server because connections are being created and dropped too quickly. We’ve adjusted the TCP connection timeouts in the OS on the SQL server and all that, but I want a better solution. I’m wondering if there is any way for multiple applications that use the same connection string to benefit from ODBC connection pooling or OLE DB resource pooling, or is pooling restricted only to multiple connections made from within the same application? We’re working with ADO in both IIS 6 and VB 6. We’ve already looked at revising our application and the way it works, but that isn’t possible at this time. Finding the answer to this connection pooling question would be much appreciated, and quite beneficial for future projects as well. Thanks in advance!
– use connectionpooling whenever possible. – if the connectionstring is bitwise exact, and the set-options are exact, then a connection can be taken from a connectionpool. – so a connection made for server1database1user1password1 will not be reused for a connection to server1Database1user1password1 ! [B)] – there is also a problem with connection pooling when you use applicationroles !
]]>