Connection to DB | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Connection to DB

Hi I wonder if anyone can help. I am a remote user in our company and i used to connect to the SQL server using a shared ISDN connection and so the server i was connecting reconized that i was connecting in as an external user. However i have just changed to a broadband connection and now i am a seperate server and connect through a ‘tunnel’ to the main server. Even though the bandwidth has increased and all other network tasks are faster, retrieving data from the database is so much slower i.e. with the ISDN connection it took about 3seconds to retrieve the data and now with the broadband it takes 20 seconds!! I have fine tuned all the queries so they are as fast as poss but i just don’t know why it would be slower retrieveing data when the connection is faster. Any ideas?????? CE
How about the intermittent network objects such as Router & Switches at the ISP and your end, check them for better performance. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
The network in general is slower or just the access to SQL Server? Gaurav
Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

The views expressed here are those of the author and no one else. There are no warranties as to the reliability or accuracy of anything presented here.
Also: When you note the problem, reading or writing data?
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com The views expressed here are those of the author and no one else. There are no warranties as to the reliability or accuracy of anything presented here.
The network is fast when browsing other servers and performing other tasks apart from any database interaction, so the problem occurs with just access to SQL server. The problem occurs both reading and writing data. CE
Check your client network libraries. If you dont have a reason not to, choose tcp/ip as your default connection lib for best performance.
tcp/ip is already chosen as my default connection lib CE
How about other set of queries asked above? Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>