Consistency Problems running SQL 2000 on Win2003? | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Consistency Problems running SQL 2000 on Win2003?

Hi there, Running SQL 2000 SP 3a on Windows 2003, on it’s own instance (one of 5 instances on a consolidated box). User get the following message
"[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionCheckForData (CheckforData()).
Server: Msg 11, Level 16, State 1, Line 0
General network error. Check your network documentation. Connection Broken" Doing a DBCC checktable gave me
"DBCC results for ‘AcctTrans’.
There are 1041869 rows in 29977 pages for object ‘AcctTrans’.
CHECKTABLE found 0 allocation errors and 38 consistency errors in table ‘AcctTrans’ (object ID 802817922).
repair_allow_data_loss is the minimum repair level for the errors found by DBCC CHECKTABLE (VP4000.dbo.AcctTrans )." This is now the third time this has happened (within a month) on this new server running SQL 2000 on Windows 2003. We never get this type of errors in our other SQL Server environments, mostly running SQL 2000 on Win2000. Any thoughts/similar/known problems ?
What version of MDAC have you install?
Did you fix using DBCC DBCHECK with repair_allow_data_loss ?
What settings do you have in that database?
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com
I would look for a hardware error if you keep getting these errors. Like memory, disk or cache controlelr errors. Check the event logs on the server.
Hi We’re running version 2.8 of MDAC. DB settings as follows: Status=ONLINE, Updateability=READ_WRITE, UserAccess=MULTI_USER, Recovery=SIMPLE, Version=539, Collation=SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS, SQLSortOrder=52, IsTornPageDetectionEnabled, IsAutoCreateStatistics, IsAutoUpdateStatistics
Compatibility_level = 80. I had to restore that morning’s backup to dummydb, and export the data of the table that was affected to the live system. They could not afford the downtime and possible dataloss on the db if I would have had to repair. Thanks.
Check the logs mentioned by Argyle which might contributing the inconsistency erros on the database. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
I don’t suppose you’re running this on a SAN are you? MeanOldDBA
[email protected] When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Jip, we are running on a SAN.
Wouldn’t happen to be EMC with QLogic cards installed would it? Either way, you need to contact your hardware vendors and make sure you have the latest BIOS and driver updates on your hardware. This can cause huge problems with SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2003. It made my life miserable for serveral weeks. MeanOldDBA
[email protected] When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
]]>