CPU monitoring of specific service | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

CPU monitoring of specific service

I am a brand new member and this is my first posting. Please forgive any improper form or technique in the way this question is posted. Any and all constructive advices to help improve future posting would be much appreciated.
I am very new to SQL Server and I want to monitor some of the resouces on the Windows server in order to determine if any bottlenecks exist as well as planning for future hardware requirements.
I know that using Windows Performance Monitor, we can monitor the CPU usage by each CPU or by total CPU. Using Windows Task Manager I can see the breakdown in CPU usage by each application but this is an interactive process. The question is: How can I monitor CPU usage by each application (not total CPU or by each individual CPU)? I want to monitor this in a background mode so the data can be reviewed and stored for historical comparison[/red]. The specific service I wish to monitor is sqlservr.exe. Unfortunately there are other applications running on the same server so the monitoring of total CPU does not show me the CPU usage pattern for SQL Server. We are planning to move SQL Server to a dedicated server but would like to know the CPU usage pattern of SQL Server in order to properly size the new dedicated server. I know there are tools out there that will allow me to monitor the CPU by process. I guess I’m just curious as to how this could be done and if it could be done by relatively simple means. The server I am interested in monitoring is running SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition. The OS is Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Thank you in advance for all assistance.
You can use Performance Monitor, Process, and choose sqlservr to monitor only how many CPU is ussing.
Also you can use Counter Log (in Performance Monitor) to store data in CSV format an export to Excel after trace. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Thanks for the assistance. I guess I focused on the Processor counter and didn’t notice the Process counter just above it.
quote:Originally posted by LuisMartin You can use Performance Monitor, Process, and choose sqlservr to monitor only how many CPU is ussing.
Also you can use Counter Log (in Performance Monitor) to store data in CSV format an export to Excel after trace. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

You may also get more idea and help from following links: http://www.sqljunkies.com/Article/7F8518F9-FDAA-4FF3-8FC5-25E8946C8D0C.scuk http://www.sql-server-performance.com/sql_server_performance_audit.asp CanadaDBA
Welcome to the forum and refer the links supplied by FarhadR and also this website for complete information on Performance topics. Good luck. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>