CPU Usage | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

CPU Usage

I am running SQL Server 2000 on a Windows 200 server with 2 CPU’s and 2GB of RAM. I can never get the CPU usage for SQL Server to go over %50. It is using both processors at about %25. I would expect that occasionally SQL Server would max out or utilize in the %80 to %90 percent ranges. Any ideas?
Extract values using PERFMON for PRocessor, PROCESS, MEMORY and few SQL related counters. If you aren’t getting any performance issues then ignore the current settings, but keep an eye on usage. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Counters indicate that there are no bottlenecks. Normally if CPU does not get fully utilized by SQL Server then it means 1-network latency or 2-Disk IO or 3-Client app. is not sending requests fast enough to work SQL Server any harder. In this case the client app is running on the same server, that rules out 1 and 3. Looking at perfmon there is little to no IO, that rules out 2. SQL Server should be maxing out on CPU usage but I cannot figure out why it will not. My hunch is that there is a SQL Server configuration that is restricting it from fully utilizeing the servers capabilities. I am just not sure what to try. The setup options for sql are the defaults and I am on SP3.
Repeating what Satya said, is there a performance degradation that you have been seeing? if not then may be you are just lucky to have a very good hardware for the application. Also is Hyper threading enables on the system? If yes, you won’t see the utilization go beyond 50% in any case. Gaurav
Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

The views expressed here are those of the author and no one else. There are no warranties as to the reliability or accuracy of anything presented here.
If anytime the normal queries are slowing down then you should worry about the system is not utilising the resources on its part, if not follow as referred. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>