CPU usage changed after upgrading to MS SQL Server | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

CPU usage changed after upgrading to MS SQL Server

Hi All, I had two Window NT 4.0 Server, say A and B… We recently upgraded from MS SQL Server 6.5 to MS SQL Server 2000 on Computer A, and for Computer B, I installed SQL Server 2000 from scratch. These two have a same RAM(512MB) and CPU speed…so the setup for hardware is almost identical… For server A, there are around 10 connection to this SQL Server…
For server B, there are also around 10 connection to this SQL Server… The database for SQL Server B is a copy from SQL Server A…. I restored the database on SQL Server B from the backup dump of Server A… We have a store procedure called usp_GetMemo(ID Interger) … we feed ID number to this store procedure and return its return Description… this table has ID column and it’s Non-Cluster index, allow the duplicate row… there are 1.7 million records for this table… Here is problem… whenever i execute more than 100 times for this store procedure(usp_GetMemo(ID)) continuously, the CPU usage of Computer A is 3 times bigger than computer B…. I did run the command "DBCC DBReindex" , "Update Statistics" for this table on computer A, but did not make any difference… Keep in mind that Computer A has been upgraded to SQL server 2000 while Computer B installed from scratch… would that make difference somehow?? Before the upgrading, the CPU usage of computer A is the same as Computer B… Any help will be really appreciated,
Thanks alot,
Kim, PS The compatibility level for SQL 2000 is 80 kim
If disk configuration are the same in both Box, try to reinstall SP in box A.
Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com
I am consistantly getting Physical Memory Usage High errors. My Buffer Cache is running at 99% and the Server Memory is at 87%. Any thoughts on what’s causing this?
Mtyson:
Kindly don’t duplicate post, is hard to follow up. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com
]]>