crazy intra table join question | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

crazy intra table join question

I am almost 100% certain that this is not possible but no better place to verify that than on this forum. We some files on sql server database and some additional (more gis-related records) in a dbf file.
There is a common key between the sql server database and dbf file and that is called classCode. My question is is it possible to perform a join between a dbf file and a sql server database? To make a bad situation worse, the dbf is in one server and the dbf is in another server. As I said, I think the answer is "No, not possible" but please, gurus, confirm with me.
Thank you
Why dont you DTS the file into a table in SQL Server then join. You can create a connection to dBase with DTS to Import. Is it possible to do that?
If you are joining tables to produce reports, why you don’t create a third database containing your SQL DB and "converted DBF files to SQL" DB. Then you can use it for any reports. This has another benefit and that is: your production DBs would not be slowdown for such a join and reports. All you need is that create a procedure to FEED the third DB with fresh data (from your SQL DB) and converted data (from you DBF files) everyday at a given time. CanadaDBA
I will try both suggestions.
All of the headache wouldn’t be neccessary if I dbf would accept an image file.
That is really the reason I am using sql server.
All of the information we need for our gis-related data is in dbf format but we also needed the ability to upload pdf files to a database and we have not been able to figure out how to do that with dbf. Any ideas on that?
Have considered migrating your whole DB to SQL Server?
Unfortunately, I couldn’t make that decision.
In SQL server database store the path of those image files rather than directly storing them on the database for the sake of db size. As referred DTS is best tool to deal the data between dbf and SQL database. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
I found the following link:http://groups.google.ca/[email protected]&rnum=1 You might find some information about saving image in a DBF file format.
quote:Originally posted by simflex I will try both suggestions.
All of the headache wouldn’t be neccessary if I dbf would accept an image file.
That is really the reason I am using sql server.
All of the information we need for our gis-related data is in dbf format but we also needed the ability to upload pdf files to a database and we have not been able to figure out how to do that with dbf. Any ideas on that?

CanadaDBA
]]>