Create Replication on snap of other server | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Create Replication on snap of other server

Hi all,
DEV Server has been built on snap of UAT Server.now i need to confugure transactional replication on DEV Sever, how could i can configure replication.when i try to create publication this is error massage.Would any one give quick reply that will be great appreciation TITLE: Publisher Properties
—————————— An error occurred connecting to Publisher ‘DEV’. For help, click:http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?Prod…rSR&EvtID=CantConnectToPublisher&LinkId=20476 ——————————
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: SQL Server replication requires the actual server name to make a connection to the server. Connections through a server alias, IP address, or any other alternate name are not supported. Specify the actual server name, UAT’. (Replication.Utilities) ——————————
BUTTONS: OK SRJ2005
Please post the output of the following…
SELECT CONVERT(char(20), SERVERPROPERTY(‘servername’)) servername,
CONVERT(char(20), SERVERPROPERTY(‘MachineName’)) MachineName,
CONVERT(char(20), SERVERPROPERTY(‘InstanceName’)) InstanceName
MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

servername MachineName InstanceName
——————– ——————– ——————–
SERVER A SERVER A NULL SRJ2005
Actually this problem is happening this way i forgot to give small piece of information to get complete idea,when i right click on replication folder and select new punlication immidiatly it is throwing the error what i sent to you. SRJ2005
Run select @@servername, it may be different than the actual server name….
MohammedU.
SQL-Server-Performance.com All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

ALso look at ping of that server if it is hosted on another server, ensure to have the alias too. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
When i ran @@servername,yes it is showing diffrent name from the original.in this case we cannot create repliction,is there any way to do this.or i can stop my research on this.
or give some idea how we can explain this situation to manager. SRJ2005
satya may i know how to find ping and alias name please. SRJ2005
quote:Originally posted by reethu When i ran @@servername,yes it is showing diffrent name from the original.in this case we cannot create repliction,is there any way to do this.or i can stop my research on this.
or give some idea how we can explain this situation to manager. SRJ2005

In that case run the following… exec sp_dropserver ‘servername’
go
exec sp_addserver ‘newservername’, ‘local’
go
–restart sql services
go
select @@servername —you should get the right name…
— and try to setup replication…
MohammedU.

in that case what precautions i should take before do it. because i am newbe for this situation. SRJ2005
Based on the information, I think you people renamed the server.
You don’t need to any precautions…
if you want you can change it back…by using the same procedures…
MohammedU.

when i did that i got this error
Msg -1073741769, Level 20, State 0, Line 0
A transport-level error has occurred when sending the request to the server. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 1 – I/O Error detected in read/write operation)
SRJ2005
If SSMS looses the connection to sql server or sql server restarted you may get this kind of error… Make sure you have connected properly… MohammedU.

when i issue this statement i got the following error.what i could do for this .
exec sp_dropserver ‘red-SQL2’.
Msg 20582, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_MSrepl_check_server, Line 31
Cannot drop server ‘INJ-SQL2’ because it is used as a Publisher in replication
Actually we have red-sql2 and red-sql3.but we have problems with red-sql3.
red-sql3 built from snap of red-sql2,when we issue @@servername on red-sql3 that returns server name red-sql2. SRJ2005
Then you have to remove the replication from red-sql3…
Using the following article if you can’t remove the replication with GUI… How to manually remove a replication in SQL Server 2000 or in SQL Server 2005
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324401 Once replication is removed then use the sp_dropserver and sp_addserver procedure to change the server name…
Restart the sql server
Reconfigure replication…
MohammedU.

Reethu,
It will be very useful if we get the solution to resolve your issue…
MohammedU.

Will MS Support is a good option now to see whats happening? Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
i am sorry actually i was working on to remove the publication but it is used by different site location big heads are working on that, i donot know exactly when they come back to me.
thanks for your intrest. SRJ2005
Hi guys actually when i tried to drop server and recreate got error as i mensiond above we asking dev team 2 hours down time to do it because to drop publication and recreate it ,so it is on hold .once i done i post it.
thanks. SRJ2005
waiting for downtime. SRJ2005
I don’t think you need down time to drop and recreate publication.
MohammedU.

Its a best to ask Dev.team to stop working until fix the problem, that way you can get the things down but as explained you need not any single-user mode to work. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
]]>