Creating a Remote server (not linked server) | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Creating a Remote server (not linked server)

Hi Everyone, I want to create remote servers on one of my sql 2005 server instance but i could not figure out how to create them. Can any one please help me out on this. Thanks,
Gautham.R
Remote server is nothing but which is located on your network and using EM or SSMS you can register it. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.

But in sql 2000 and 2005 we use remote server for backward compatibility and we can run proceduers of other servers database . Thanks,
Gautham.R
Books online refers:
quote:
Most of the time, you should not have to set configuration options for remote servers. SQL Server Set sets the defaults on both the local and remote computers to allow for remote server connections. For remote server access to work, the remote access configuration option must be set to 1 on both the local and remote computers. (This is the default setting.) remote access controls logins from remote servers. You can reset this configuration option by using either the Transact-SQL sp_configure stored procedure or SQL Server Management Studio. To set the option in SQL Server Management Studio, on the Server Properties Connections page, use Allow remote connections to this server.

Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Writer, Contributing Editor & Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
Hi Satya, First of all thanks for the information I have tried that but my problem is i am not able to find a option which ask for creating new remote server in sql 2005. In sql 2000 we have visible option in security tab to create both linked server as well as remote server but in sql 2005 under server objects folder we have option for creating a linked server but not remote server. My point is from where can i get this option of creating a remote server.
Regards,
Gautham.R
]]>