Creating an 'admin' database | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Creating an ‘admin’ database

I am toying with the idea of creating a database for admin purposes. I am not the worlds most experienced dba but my idea is this: I want to have a generic script that can be run after building a server to do all the little things you need to do like creating backup jobs, creating logins, configuring the server, create jobs etc etc. I thought how great it would be to have a database that stored all the parameters (server names, db names, file paths etc) for each server and the databases within it. My script – or rather sp then simply needs to be told the name of the server it is configuring and it can go off and do all the tasks I need. Edit: The db would also store the results of the jobs I have on the servers, log scripts that have been run on db’s etc etc The advantadge is that my script is common to all servers (3) and will be entirely parameter driven and help improve the speed and accuracy of rebuilds. So, has anyone attempted such a thing – is it a worthwhile exercise? I have looked for sites on the net that might have what I need to save re-inventing the wheel but not found anything…… Cheers
Those results, information is saved anyway under the logs/reports and mounting another database is a troublesome. Is there any reason for this work? _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

quote:Originally posted by satya Those results, information is saved anyway under the logs/reports and mounting another database is a troublesome. Is there any reason for this work? _________
Satya SKJ

I am proabably trying to be a bit too adventurous! There is no real reason for doing it other than for me to have a quick and fast way of setting up a server. I figured that if I have a new SQL server I just add in the entries into the database, run the script and hey-presto one configured SQL server with everything setup….
Configure one server as main server and rest of the servers as target server. At the addition of a new server in the set-up, u’ll need to just add the server as Target server. This way you’ll have all the information about job status etc, in the main server. Gaurav
Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

Gaurav I’m bit unsure what you want to deliver, appreciate if you could explain. If its for fun… then why to waste resources and its better to concentrate to fine-tune current configuration. HTH _________
Satya SKJ

]]>