Database Diagrams Challenge | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Database Diagrams Challenge

Hello, We have recently begun a migration from SQL 7.0 to SQL 2005. Using backup / restore method we successfully restored a database to our new server from the backup file. When trying to view the database diagram, the following error is received. TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
—————————— Invalid column name ‘uvalue’.
Invalid column name ‘uvalue’.
Could not find stored procedure ‘dbo.sp_upgraddiagrams’.
Object is invalid. Extended properties are not permitted on ‘dbo.sysdiagrams’, or the object does not exist.
Object is invalid. Extended properties are not permitted on ‘dbo.sp_upgraddiagrams’, or the object does not exist. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 207) For help, click:http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?Prod…399&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=207&LinkId=20476 ——————————
BUTTONS: OK
—————————— Server Name: SR_******
Error Number: 207
Severity: 16
State: 1
Procedure: sp_upgraddiagrams
Line Number: 55 You will notice that if you paste the help url into your browser that Microsoft has no information on this error. We have tried deleting the existing database on the new server and it’s backup file, creating a new backup after deleting the old database diagram, in case the new server was having problems interpreting it. The same error was still encountered. I have searched extensively for more information on this including the SQL Server 2005 books online. When restoring the database file I have tried both the "WITH RECOVERY" and "WITH NORECOVERY" options. Interestingly, when the "WITH NORECOVERY" option is the database hangs while restoring, but will create successfully when the "WITH RECOVERY" option is selected. I have updated the database to 2005, or ’90’ format. I have also tried switching dbo_owner status for the database, with correct user logins for the instance of the SQL 2005 server. Has anyone come across this problem before? If so, how did you resolve it? We are at a point now of thinking we will just use the DTS method and manually enter the database tables relationships. This would be tedious and time consuming as we have several databases to migrate, but need the database diagrams feature. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,
Micho

Interesting. I know the SQL 7 and 2000 diagrams are not compatible with SQL 2005. If you deleted the diagrams and then tried to recreate them in 2005 post restore, you must have something else in the SQL 7 DB that is causing the problem. Have you tried running SQL 2005 Upgrade Advisor against the SQL 7 instance/database? It may give you move verbose information on the potential upgrade issues. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/…7A-662C-4319-AFE7-B52D1568C30A&displaylang=en
Thank you for your suggestion. I tried the upgrade advisor and couldn’t find any warnings / information regarding diagram upgrade issues. Since the diagrams will create sucessfully with DTS (minus relationships), we will use this method and enter all key relationships manually.
You might wan’t to try changing the compatibility level of your new database, i did’nt have the same error but had some other strange diagram error before i changed mine.
Any luck with this? I was able to recreate the same issue when moving DBs from SQL7 to 2005. Cant seem to find much help with it either…
quote:Originally posted by Micho Thank you for your suggestion. I tried the upgrade advisor and couldn’t find any warnings / information regarding diagram upgrade issues. Since the diagrams will create sucessfully with DTS (minus relationships), we will use this method and enter all key relationships manually.

Hey Jeffry,
No, unfortunately. I am glad to hear it isn’t just me having this issue. The compatibility level was set for 2005 or ’90’ on my new database, and the same error was encountered. We have just been using the DTS method, then restoring all relationships and dependencies manually. Tedious, but effective.
Cheers and thanks for trying!

quote:Originally posted by Micho Hey Jeffry,
No, unfortunately. I am glad to hear it isn’t just me having this issue. The compatibility level was set for 2005 or ’90’ on my new database, and the same error was encountered. We have just been using the DTS method, then restoring all relationships and dependencies manually. Tedious, but effective.

hey… I have the fix for this…. just run this query and your all set… ALTER TABLE dbo.dtproperties ADD uvalue NVARCHAR(255) NULL
IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM dbo.dtproperties) EXEC (‘UPDATE dbo.dtproperties SET uvalue = CONVERT(NVARCHAR(255), value)’)
quote:Originally posted by Micho Hey Jeffry,

Hey Jeffry,
It worked like a charm, you are amazing! Thank you so much.
i looked everywhere on the web and this solution finally resolved the problem. i was upgrading Microsoft Retail Management System 1.3 database from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 and kept getting the same error. I hope other people find this article and solution or that Microsoft will eventually publish it in an external support article. Best Regards,
Ryan D. Marshall
http://www.AlternativeSports.com Alternative Sports
Skate / Surf / Snow
http://www.AlternativeSports.com
]]>