Database files and groups | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Database files and groups

So I’ve decided to take the certification test for MCTS sql server 2005. I’ve got a book I’m going through and came across the chapter talking about files and file groups. One thing it recommended was not to put your objects in the default mdf file but rather in another secondary ndf file. Just curious if that’s the general concensus here on this forum. I knew you could create multiple files for a database but really haven’t learned much more than that. What kind of best practices do people use for determining their file structure? Rob Mills
If this is a test based question then I would suggest to refer through the books online for such information, as you can also install SQL Evaluation edition and test it yourself to get more information in this case. Don’t take it otherwise of not replying directly to your question, but it is better to declient answering the clasroom based threads. Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
quote:Originally posted by satya If this is a test based question then I would suggest to refer through the books online for such information, as you can also install SQL Evaluation edition and test it yourself to get more information in this case. Don’t take it otherwise of not replying directly to your question, but it is better to declient answering the clasroom based threads.

No, this isn’t a test question. It was more like the author’s recommendation (at least the part I read). But it just got my mind thinking more about files and how little I know about them. Rob Mills
]]>