Database not growing | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Database not growing

Hello, I have a SQL 2K SP4 database on Win 2K datacenter that is set to autogrow but for some reason it does not do it. I verified that the machine has sufficeint space. Has anyone experienced it? Thanks in adavnce for any input.
Set a trace in profiler to see if the database is getting any of the autogrow events. Also, is there anything in the logs?
What happens when it reaches capacity ?
Are you getting a database out of space error ?
What do you mean with no growing?.
May be you have some confusion between reserved space and real space, and datase grow real space but not reserved space so total is the same. Luis Martin
SQL-Server-Performance.com One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important
Bertrand Russell
All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.
Hi, are you keeping record of space used using * sp_spaceused * ? if their’s data insertion it must grow !
quote:I have a SQL 2K SP4 database on Win 2K datacenter that is set to autogrow but for some reason it does not do it. I verified that the machine has sufficeint space. Has anyone experienced it?

how u set the auto grow ? , in % or in MBs and how much ?
what is your current db size ? please brief your question. Regards
Hemantgiri S. Goswami
[email protected]
"Humans don’t have Caliber to PASS TIME , Time it self Pass or Fail Humans" – by Hemantgiri Goswami

WHat kind of activity is on database?
Any error or information when any process tries to load any data?
ANy optimization jobs over the weekend and any difference in the sizes. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
We figured out the issue. And this is going to sound stupid….but we ran out of space on the drive. I verified that there was ample space but then a backup kicked off and when the database tried to expand, it didn’t have enough space to grow. Rinu
I believe sometimes it is good to disable auto-grow on database, that gives DBA a duty to monitor the growth. Database backup will not attempt to increase the size of database, it must be an activity such as dbreindex or update stats or any request from application would do. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>