Db Backup job failed | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Db Backup job failed

Hi..
I did run my Db full backup for everyday, the jobs shown failed, but the backup file was created. I did checked in the backup job history and giving me an error as below Executed as user: NT AUTHORITYSYSTEM. sqlmaint.exe failed. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 22029). The step failed.
One other thing, I’ve another set of ful backup that I need to delete, but windows prompt me error says : Cannot delete *****.bck, access is denied, the source file maybe in use…
what went wrong???? this is the last 3 days backup set that suppose to be able to delete
Can you check SQL job->step->Advanced->’On success Action’ for your database backup job.. Someone may have incorrectly mentioned to "Quit the job reporting failure" Please check the path of sql backup file.. this may be using the same and conflicting to each other. Have you changed something recently in backup job?? if you have backup of MSDB database.. can restore on dev box and compare sql job changes. Deepak Kumar –An eye for an eye and everyone shall be blind
Can you check SQL job->step->Advanced->’On success Action’ for your database backup job.. Someone may have incorrectly mentioned to "Quit the job reporting failure" I have the setting as above but still the JOBS marked with red color… Have you changed something recently in backup job?? if you have backup of MSDB database.. can restore on dev box and compare sql job changes. No, I did not changed anything, last msdb backup was at 12-06-05 and db backup running as usual till 16-06-05 and on 17-06-05 the backup were failed, I try to delete the file
but it says "access is denied" I know I can do it by restarting the server but this will need downtime as production are now running heavily, so what should I do then?

the correct action should be like below.. On success Action : Quit the job reporting success On failure Action : Quit the job reporting failure —- can we have your database backup job code..How do you delete old files..??
quote:Originally posted by motioneye Can you check SQL job->step->Advanced->’On success Action’ for your database backup job.. Someone may have incorrectly mentioned to "Quit the job reporting failure" I have the setting as above but still the JOBS marked with red color…

Deepak Kumar –An eye for an eye and everyone shall be blind
No need to restart the server to delete the files, ensure that backup files are not opened by any other application on the server.If you use Veritas or any other tool to backup the files to tape, then ensure the 2 schedules(SQL jobs & third party tool) are not overlapped. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Hi..
Yes I do have setting as what u’ve mentioned On success Action : Quit the job reporting success On failure Action : Quit the job reporting failure
Hi below is my SQL200 backup code… EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_sqlmaint N’-PlanID 4703C59B-576C-475E-A551-1D516DBE49D3 -WriteHistory -VrfyBackup -BkUpOnlyIfClean -CkDB -BkUpMedia DISK -BkUpDB "J:FFDSData" -DelBkUps 2DAYS -BkExt "BAK"’
I can see the *.bak file created but in the jobs it still with red marked
Ok.
From the database maintainance plan histor I can see the status was success and with the log as below
Backup Destination: [J:FFDSDataFFDS_db_200506221714.BAK] but the jobs really confusing me since it still stated with red marked represent as failed..
Take help from this KBAhttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;288577 to resolve db maint. plan errors.
Also can you confirm the privileges of SQLAgent between the machines. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
The SQL server AGENT can’t start, but SQL Server run smoothly.
I will try every process but i can’t.
]]>