Debugging Stored Procedures | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Debugging Stored Procedures

Hi All,
Just wondering if Management Studio offers the ability to debug stored procedures (like in Query Analyser). I have had a look in help and through the menus and i cant seem to find equivalent functionality! Thanks in advance,
Ben ‘I reject your reality and substitute my own’ – Adam Savage
http://sqljunkies.com/WebLog/nielsb/archive/2004/08/04/3758.aspx Satya SKJ
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
SQL Server Management Studio does not include a debugger. So all debugging has to be done using Visual Studio.
Nathan H. Omukwenyi
MVP [SQL Server]

Thanks for the info guys! but, wow! What a step backwards! Taking the debugger out of the SQL Server really makes a lot of sense to me [insert sarcasm here]. Ben ‘I reject your reality and substitute my own’ – Adam Savage
I’m curious as well – the linked blog discusses debugging CLR, so has SQL 2005 lost the ability to step through T-SQL sprocs, UDFs and triggers? There were a couple of things to be improved in SQL 2000’s debugging, but at least it was straight, clean and simple – right-click in QA and off you went. By the way – just to show off my ignorance all over again – does SQL 2005 even have a tool like QA?
Sadly, Adriaan that seems to be true. I cannot find any reference, in BOL, forums, or the SQL Server Management Studio to doing T-SQL stored procedure debugging. That’s a really bad decision – now I have to try and get VSS to open my SQL Solution to debug it? My VSS seems to know about Integreation Services, Analysis Services and Reporting Services, but not SQL. Do I need to install a component to get VSS to open SQL projects and debug them? AAAARGH Panic, Chaos, Disorder … my work here is done –unknown
What is even worse is that the debugger has stopped functioning recently – not sure if it was caused by SP4. Anyone with the same experience?
hmm – fortunately ( or unfortunately, depending on your point-of-view) I’ve gone from SQL2000sp3a (previous company) straight to SQL2005sp1, so I can’t help, other than to offer my commiserations. Panic, Chaos, Disorder … my work here is done –unknown
]]>